Quick Employee Readiness Assessment

We have identified ‘end user acceptance and commitment’ as an important change risk factor in successful change. This tool is a quick way of using experience and management judgement to gauge the extent of the acceptance and commitment of the end users before moving forward. It can be applied to assess the situation in a small or large group. Clearly, the smaller the group the higher the expected accuracy. A more comprehensive ‘Change risk and readiness assessment’ will need to be undertaken as a part of the roll-out process, but this quick assessment can be a useful place to begin a discussion on this important topic with a management team.

Quick Employee Readiness Assessment

  • Family – The change is essential. It must work
  • Friends – The change is important. There will be benefits.
  • Fence Sitter – In Neutral. Waiting to be persuaded.
  • Foreigners – See no reason to make the change work. No benefits.
  • Foes – Committed to make the change fail. Prefer the good old days.

The tipping point is an important indicator of probable success or failure. If the assessment identifies less than 50% of the end users likely lie on the left hand side, i.e., with a positive vested interest, then the change will most probably fail. If the assessment identifies more than 75% of the end users likely lie on the left side then the change will most probably succeed. In this case, many of the other 25% will come on board when they see that the change is inevitable. Most quick assessment fall somewhere in between. An assessment need to be made about the size of the ‘fence sitter’ group and the likelihood that they will move to the right or left.

Footer